Natural Gas Safety

Natural gas is a safe, reliable, and environmentally friendly form of energy.  Day in and day out it brings comfort to our homes and businesses.  However, as with any fuel, risk comes if handled improperly.  In order to help keep you safe, it is very important to recognize the signs of a natural gas leak.

Natural gas is colorless, odorless, and lighter than air.  By itself it will not burn.  However, with the proper mixture of gas and air combined with an ignition source, combustion can occur.  Because natural gas is odorless, an odorant that smells like a rotten egg is added so it can be detected.  This smell is the first indication that natural gas may be present.

If you suspect a gas leak in or around your home:

  •  Leave your home immediately.
  •  Do not operate any appliances, or turn any light switches on or off.
  •  Do not light matches or candles.
  •  Do not use the telephone. This includes cell phones.
  •  Call BEA (731-772-8845) immediately from a neighbor’s phone or cell phone outside of the building.

How to detect Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide (CO) can form when fuels like charcoal, gasoline, coal, propane, wood, and natural gas are burned without a sufficient supply of air.  An awareness of what produces carbon monoxide can protect you and your family.

The early effects of CO poisoning mimic the flu.  Look for the following warning signs:

  •  Headache
  •  Nausea
  •  Dizziness
  •  Muscle fatigue

If these symptoms are not accompanied by fever, everyone in the family is experiencing similar signs, and the symptoms disappear when you leave the house, you may have a carbon monoxide problem.

Remember, carbon monoxide detectors may be installed to help keep your family safe and detect CO before it reaches dangerous levels.  Perhaps the best prevention is inspection by a trained service technician.  BEA will check for CO and look for the source free of charge.